on my way Backpacking, roadtripping and travelling the world


First days in Down Under

Even there was some snowfall back in Germany my flight left Frankfurt without any delay. I was lucky to get a seat at the emergency exit, so I could stretch my legs and get some sleep. Besides dinner and breakfast I slept mostly all the flight to singapore, where I had to get off the airplane in order to re-board it just 45 minutes later. I could get some more sleep on the second flight to Sydney so after changing planes again I arrived in Brisbane well-rested.
Arranged by my university I was picked up from the airport and was brought to Roma Street where I met my former flatmate Verena and her friend Elena shortly later. They have been staying in Brisbane 6 weeks now, and showed me around. After a small breakfast and some urgently needed espresso we went up to Mount Coot-tha and came just in time to see some jets fly over the lookout and central brisbane. The weather was cloudy but nevertheless I enjoyed the view of the town I will be living in for the next 18 months.
In the afternoon I moved into my flat in Paddington and met my new flatmate Hugo, a nice guy from Columbia. My room is really nice with all the furniture I need and with a beautiful view over the skyline of Brisbane. After unpacking my bag and arranging my stuff I was so tired that I immediately fell asleep.
On the next day it started raining and I realized what it means to arrive in the most rainy summer Australia has seen for several years. We planned to visit the Koala sanctuary just out of town, but as we arrived there it started raining so hard, that we decided to go back to town and spend the day doing some shopping in the Indooroopilly Mall. I bought a SIM card and a mobile internet stick so I'm set for the first if it comes to communication. The second night was as the first one without any problems falling asleep. So beside a small jet-lag I did not suffer of any lack of sleep.
After Verena and Elena both left Australia and flew back home I nevertheless wasn't on my own. A former colleague of a friend is doing her au-pair here in brisbane, so the next day I met her and the two boys Alex (3yrs) and Robin (6yrs) she's taking care of. The boys were quite excited to have a man to play around with so I spent the whole day playing hide and seek and splashing in the pool - this was quite tiring.
After the weekend I finally got to meet my study advisor at QUT business school. My campus Garden Point is situated next to the Botanical Garden and the nearby park. Close to town and just across the river from South Bank and the in-city Streets Beach. The campus itself is really well maintained, and there are some ongoing constructions rebuilding some of the blocks. Block B, containing my Business School, is fairly close to Brisbane CBD (Central Business District), and all my lecture rooms are situated on the 4th Level. It was nice strolling around the corridor knowing, this will be the place I will be studying for the next year and a half. I was welcomed by my advisor and was told all the important information I need. There will be a orientation session the week before my studies begin, so till then i still can relax.
Later in the afternoon I visited the QUT Accommodation Service which provides information and help in finding a room or flat in and around Brisbane. They offer a dedicated website offering various accommodation options, which is really helpful if you're new in town.
The most accommodation is available at short notice as there is a bigger supply than there is demand so I should be fine looking for accommodation at the end of this year. In the meantime I'm awaiting my bike to arrive from Germany so I can take a closer look at all the suburbs in Brisbane, that are an option for me to live in.

Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

No comments yet.

Leave a comment


No trackbacks yet.